Top 5 Killer Walleye Fishing Tips!

Posted by Magic Fishing on Friday, April 8, 2011

I am going to begin by stating that what you are about to read our my personal experiences and my goal is to provide you with true and accurate walleye fishing tips that I personally use myself. Hold on to your pants because it will feel like you are on the water using these very tips as you continue to read.
Jig & Minnow on the flats
While on the mighty Chippewa flowage in Northern Wisconsin we had spent the entire morning walleye fishing and even though I have fished these waters for years, we were very disappointed in boating only two small walleye. We vertical fished a hole near the dam in blueberry lake, we then headed over to a shallow point in scott lake which was one of my favorite spots and got skunked there also. We headed back to the lodge at Tiger Musky Resort which is where we were staying and had some lunch after an exhausting morning.

While having a few beers, Jason who now runs the resort for his parents Moose and Millie, looked over at me and said "a cold front is moving in", I asked him if he can provide some walleye tips, he then leaned over and quietly said "a jig and minnow on the flats". I got the map out and began looking at it and he said "you do not need a map, the flats are just around the bend about a 1/2 mile to the left". He said "I am free later this afternoon and I will take you out just before dusk". We arrived at the flats, it was a sandy area about 8ft deep and he suggested a 1/8 ounce lead jig with a walleye minnow and we should slowly pop it over the top of the vegetation. needless to say, we filled the livewell with our daily limit and had to release a heep load of fish.

Rubber Worm Rigged Texas Style
The setting is Shabonna lake in Northern Illinois which is a musky lake, I tend to fish musky lakes because they also hold plenty of walleye. We started the day in the no motor area which is limited to electric trolling motors only because of all the stumps that were submerged just below the surface. We were fishing shallow running rapalas and getting a few fish, but nothing to brag about when we suddenly spotted two fellows casting rubber worms and of course we assumed that they were bass fishing. As we looked on, we noticed that they were nailing walleye, one after the other. We gave it a try and the results were amazing, most of our catch were two to four lbs.

Vertical Jigging In Your Face
After a morning of fishing in the no motor area at Shabonna, we headed to shore and entered the bait shop and as we were browsing around I noticed that Jim, the owner of Big Jim's Bait Shop who I came to know from years a fishing the lake, was arguing with a fishermen. Jim walks over to me and said "the nerve of that guy", I asked what was the matter and he replied that the guy asked him for some walleye fishing tips and as he proceeded to tell him, the fishermen dismissed it as a hoax. Jim then asked if I was going back out on the water and I said why of course I am, he then said to try the deep trees. Jim said to vertical jig a minnow hooked by its tail, as you jig it, the minnow drops back face first towards the walleye. "I call it the in your face method", said Jim. We went home as happy campers that day.

Spinner With Orange Twister Tail
It was early spring and we set out to fish a nearby lake called Tampeir Lake, as we fished some of our favorite spots, using some live bait, we were getting a few walleye in the boat and suddenly it just stopped. We then moved to another spot and then to another with not a single bite. The fish had completely turned off, so I switched to lures and after trying a few with no luck, I then grabbed a small spinner and put on an orange twister tail and they came back to life, and I must say, that was very exciting.

Lindy Rig For A Walleye River
It was a fall morning in late September with overcast skies and we were on the Wisconsin River, we set up some Lindy Rigs because a local angler had said that they were killing them on Lindy rigs. We were indeed killing them as we were told, we boated so many walleye that we ran out of minnows. we used other methods that day but none worked as well as the Lindy Rig.
So what should we conclude from all of this, I think that you can say that each body of water is different and weather conditions also play an important role, but the most important advice to take from reading this article is to listen to the locals.

Joseph Mancia has been fishing the midwest for over 20 years and provides some the best Walleye Fishing Tips from his own personal experiences. to learn some more of his outstanding walleye tips visit http://www.walleyefishingtips.org
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Joseph_Mancia

See my previous post: 

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...