Summer Time Bass Fishing

Posted by Magic Fishing on Friday, March 18, 2011

Summer Time Bass Tactics
This is the time of year to change your tactics when fishing those Lakes and ponds in this hot weather. We deal with a lot of moss and grass in the water around here. This is one of the first things I look for when going after a big lunker bass. Bait fishes hang out around the grasses for safety and of course the bass that feed on them are looking for that next meal. I like to fish these areas early in the morning and evenings. We fish with spinners, lipless crank baits, and buzz baits. We fish parallel to those grass and moss beds as to cover as much territory as possible with each cast. Many of the protruding edges along the grass line are the most productive. These areas provide cover for the bass and give them a angle to ambushing baitfish. We catch a large number of bass using plastic jigs and Worms in the middle of the day.



This is our approach later in the morning and mid day, when fish start searching for deeper waters. With the air and the water temperatures warming, bass seem to want the slower action. A thin graphite rod is what I use so I can feel the slightest movement. I let the worm/jig fall as slowly as possible before moving it on the bottom. Largemouth bass tend to prefer teasing them with that worm. This time of day you have to talk them into biting that rig. When they hit I go with them for a split second and then hammer him to set that hook, my pole going from nine o'clock to twelve o'clock. You'll feel the pull and see that rod bend. My worm rigs are a product of 39 years of perfection. I like to use Shakespeare's 17 pound test Premium Monofilament Cajun Line. I know there are more expensive lines out there, but this line does the job and has never broken on me and is just about invisible in the water. I accompany that with a No.3/0 hook and a 1/8-ounce slip weight. The plastic worm itself must be an 8" flip tail, watermelon, motor oil, purple, or black, the color changes with conditions.

In the afternoon heat of the day I'll throw a medium to deep diving crank bait. I have at least 50 different ones in my tackle box; again it depends on the conditions as to which one I will use. I like to throw that lure out into the area I am fishing, let it set a couple of seconds and then reel seven to ten turns, stop a couple of seconds, reel seven more times, stop and then reel it on in. This seems to really get the attention of the bass I am after. Yes bass bite in hot weather, you just have to put a little more effort into it but believe me it pays off! Get a big jug of ice water and a good hat. Now you're ready to do battle with those bass that will fit so well in your frying pan! Good Luck,

Jim "Duckie" Newcomb
ShellShocked Outdoors
http://www.shellshockedoutdoors.com
Jim "Duckie" Newcomb, president of ShellShocked Outdoors, http://www.shellshockedoutdoors.com, he is an outdoorsman with 45 years of personal experience in hunting, fishing and the great outdoors. He is an accomplished and respected waterfowl hunter along with guiding upland bird hunting adventures. He has trained thousands of gun dogs throughout his career. He is the host of an outdoor radio show and a respected outdoors writer and editor. His company does alot of product testing for manufacturers of outdoor products.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...